I modified a Simplicity pattern made for cold weather wraps for dogs. I cut an opening on the back half so that I could open it up and add cross-ribbons for decoration.
Once I finished the edges to the opening in the fabric, I cut the ribbons, finished their edges and then wove them over each other to cover the opening.
Once the ribbons were on, I made a perimeter ribbon, lined the edge and created tassels of a sort. I had to sew them to the edging before attaching the edging to the main piece.
Now, you may have noticed that there are two sides to the livery. I chose the colors specifically because the fact that I was making a Ren Faire costume for Duncan was not geeky enough. I made it World of Warcraft themed. Here, I've almost completed the Alliance Lion symbol. The other side is, of course, for the Horde.
I let Duncan model it in the afternoon sun. He only minded it a little and I got proof that he can poop in it. So, first field test - complete!